Dear doctoral candidates and PostDocs, the travel grants are open again.
Exchange is of central importance for young scientists. On this page we inform you about the possibilities to receive support for travel and research stays.
The University of Passau supports, by means of a travel allowance of maximum 2/3 of the costs incurred (if the requirements of the guidelines on the granting of travel allowances are met), junior researchers of the university who make an active contribution (e.g. lecture, poster or presentation) at a scientific event in Germany or abroad.
Due to limited budgetary resources, the Graduate Center's travel funding is awarded according to the following criteria:
- Applications for Initial grants will be prioritized for funding.
- For subsequent grants, the following indicators will be considered in the decision:
- Previous approved funding amount of the applicant.
- Qualification of the applicants:
- Scientific curriculum vitae (publications, conference attendance, third-party funding and awards).
- Progress in the dissertation, which is confirmed by the statement of the first supervisor.
Travel funding from the University of Passau should only serve as subordinate funding. The availability of chair funds and external funding should be checked in advance. For habilitation students, the funds from their own habilitation fund should also be exhausted first.
Only active participation in an event of an internationally recognized scientific institution with a contribution representing an independent scientific achievement can be funded.
The following forms of participation
are therefore unfortunately not eligible for funding:
Participation in teaching events such as courses, seminars and colloquia or organizational functions such as moderation, introductions and greetings.
Dear doctoral candidates and PostDocs, unfortunately we have to suspend the travel grants for budget reasons until further notice.
The following presentation is optimized for desktop view, please understand that there may be display restrictions in mobile view.
A note in advance:
A complete application must be received in the Graduate Center office prior to travel.
First look carefully
the eligibility criteria. With the help of the
next steps we will try to
to make you aware of all relevant requirements, aspects
and considerations as possible.
Please read our travel grant guidelines carefully. Only these are binding. All information on our website is for simplified presentation and summary purposes only.
(Attention: Unfortunately, our guidelines are currently only available in German.)
Eligibility to apply
To apply for a travel grant, you must belong to one of the following status groups.
By clicking on the respective status group, you can find out which requirements you have to fulfill in order to be assigned to the respective status group.
Doctoral students of the University of Passau must be able to prove their status by written confirmation of admission as a doctoral student of the faculty or by proof of enrollment as a doctoral student.
Habilitands of the University of Passau must be able to prove their status by a written confirmation of acceptance as Habilitand of their faculty.
Postdoctoral researchers at the University of Passau must, on the one hand, be seeking further academic qualification or eligibility for appointment in the context of obtaining habilitation-equivalent achievements and, on the other hand, be members of the University of Passau in that they are usually employed at the University of Passau or have been granted 'affiliate' status at the University of Passau.
In the case of doctoral and post-doctoral researchers, firstly the completion of the doctorate or post-doctoral qualification must (in principle) be less than 24 months ago and secondly they must be members of the University of Passau in that they are usually employed at the University of Passau or have been granted 'affiliate' status at the University of Passau.
Junior professors must be those of the University of Passau.
Before applying, please plan how you will fund your trip. Please keep the following points in mind:
- The grant from the Graduate Center is generally to be used on a subordinate basis; first of all, other grants are to be used for financing, e.g. cost absorption by a doctoral college.
- The travel allowance of the Graduate Center can only cover up to 2/3 of the incurred travel costs.
- The remaining 1/3 of the travel expenses can only be increased with special third-party funds acquired for this purpose (e.g. DAAD funds). An increase by other budget funds, e.g. by chair or professorship funds, is not possible. In particular, funds from the University Women's Representative cannot be combined with travel funding from the Graduate Center.
Consequently, in the absence of other financing options, you must expect to finance the remaining 1/3 of the travel costs incurred, which cannot be covered by the Graduate Center, from private funds.
Note: However, private expenses within the scope of the personal contribution may be tax deductible.
Decisive eligibility criterion
This is evidenced by a statement from your caregiver (see the next step for more information).
Only active participation in an event of an internationally recognized scientific institution with a contribution representing an independent scientific achievement can be funded. Therefore, please check if you meet this criterion.
The following forms of participation are therefore unfortunately not eligible for funding:
Participation in courses such as seminars and colloquia or organizational functions such as moderation, introductions and greetings.
As early as possible, ask your supervisor to complete our statement form outlining independent scholarly achievement as well as the significance of the event. Please keep in mind that the risk of not receiving the statement in time lies with you in any case: Your application must be received in its entirety by the Graduate Center office prior to travel.
Statement of the supervisor
If you submit your proposal through the online form, you may also request the statement from your supervisor through the Graduate Center.
If you simply do not have the statement completed at the time of your application, you can submit it later (at the latest!) until the start of your trip.
Set up the necessary facilities:
- Create a scientific curriculum vitae. This should clearly show which publications you have published so far, which conferences you have attended so far, which third-party funding or grants you have obtained so far and which awards you have won so far.
- Provide a brief description of the independent scientific achievement that makes participation in the event meaningful (abstract/exposé). In the case of an application via the online form, this statement must be inserted in a text field as text with a length of 1500 to a maximum of 1800 characters including spaces. In the case of an application by mail, the presentation will be attached to the application, but you can still use this length as a guideline.
- Take care of a proof of conference participation (e.g. a letter of invitation).
An application is possible as an online application or by mail and must be received by the Graduate Center office no later than the start of the trip.
If you would like to submit your application directly as an online application:
Clicking the button will automatically take you to the online application form on this page. As part of the online application, you will then be asked to enter your details and upload your attachments at the relevant points.
We wish you
a successful trip!
If you would like to submit your application by mail:
At best, fill it out directly on your PC as a PDF form and please print it out on one side.
If it is not possible to fill out the PDF form, please print it out on one side and fill it out legibly. Please sign your printed application.
Please attach to your application all the attachments prepared in the previous step as well as the statement of your supervisor and send your application to:
As an employee of the University of Passau, you must submit an application for approval of a business/training trip to the Human Resources Department and check the box "Fortbildungsreise".
The fields marked with an asterisk (*) must be filled in.
Exceeding the number of characters allowed in the text fields will prevent you from sending the application.
You cannot save your application to continue at a later time.
Please fill in the application form and upload all required documents using the file upload fields at the end of the application:
1. proof of participation (e.g. invitation letter).
2. statement from your supervisor, if applicable, accompanied by original signature
3. a scientific curriculum vitae
In particular, you must fulfill the following four criteria in order to be able to apply in principle for a travel grant from the Graduate Center:
1. you are a member of the University of Passau and belong to one of the following status groups:
Doctoral students who have received a written confirmation of acceptance as a doctoral student from their faculty or are enrolled as a doctoral student.
Habilitation students who have received written confirmation of acceptance as a habilitation student from their faculty.
Postdoctoral students who are seeking further academic qualification or the ability to be appointed to a post within the framework of obtaining habilitation-equivalent achievements
doctoral and post-doctoral students who completed their doctorate or habilitation less than 24 months ago
2. the event is organized by a recognized scientific institution.
3. you actively participate in the event with a contribution (e.g. presentation, lecture) that represents an independent scientific achievement (not: participation in courses such as courses, seminars and colloquia or organizational functions such as moderations, introductions and greetings).
4. you submit your application before you begin your travel.
Please note the following:
- Guest lectures are not eligible for funding.
- There is no limit to the number of applications per person, i.e. you may submit multiple applications for different events.
- It is possible to combine the trip with a private stay if this does not result in additional costs for the university. Appropriate supporting documents (e.g. comparison of flight costs) must be attached to the application and, at the latest, to the statement of account. Please indicate on the application which days you spent privately.
As a rule, up to 2/3 of the travel expenses will be funded by the Graduate Center. Please note the following:
It is not possible to top up travel grants from chair or professorship funds. If official travel is supported by travel grants, at least 1/3 of the travel expenses must be privately funded (University Executive Decision of December 8, 2015).
The remaining 1/3 of the total expenses can only be financed with third-party funds acquired specifically for this purpose (e.g. DAAD funds). Note: Any private expenses within the scope of the personal contribution may be tax deductible.
Funds from the University Women's Representative cannot be combined with travel funding from the Graduate Center.
Please submit the request for reimbursement of travel expenses (settlement) no later than six months after the event directly to the Human Resources Department, Unit VIII/4, contact person: Ms. Ursula Baniak.
Please submit the following documents:
- Request for reimbursement of travel expenses
- original letter of approval from the Graduate Center
- all receipts for all expenses you wish to claim, including boarding passes for flights and stamped tickets for train rides
- Certificate of participation or equivalent confirmation from the organizer proving that you actually participated actively in the event, i.e. that you gave the lecture or presented the poster, for example.
- For employees of the University of Passau: Application for approval of a training trip (original version approved by the Human Resources Department).
- If you extended your trip privately: Evidence that your private stay did not result in additional costs for the university.
We are happy to support you with our travel funding also for the participation in virtual conferences where participation fees apply.
If you are an employee of the University of Passau, please also submit an application for approval of a business trip to the Human Resources Department (Ref. VIII/4) before attending virtual conferences and note there that the conference will take place virtually.
In case of cancellation costs, these can be claimed using the settlement form with a brief explanation. You can settle the unavoidable cancellation costs with the usual settlement form. Under "Reasons of any kind" please enter the reasons for the cancellation of the trip. As usual, attach the approval of the business or training trip and the various receipts to the settlement.
In this case, the preclusion period of six months begins from the time you become aware of the fact that the business or training trip cannot be carried out.
For relevant questions, please contact Ms. Sandra Atzinger (firstname.lastname@example.org; 1342) or Ms. Ursula Baniak (email@example.com; 1343).
Please, pay attention to the currently valid guidelines of the State Ministry of Finance and Home Affairs with regard to official travel:Vorgaben des Staatsministeriums für Finanzen und Heimat im Hinblick auf dienstliche Reisen.