Each discipline (already) has very different expectations of you. The competencies you will refine in the course of your doctorate vary just as much. The following questions will help to assess the situation:
- Do you supervise student assistants?
- Do your responsibilities include teaching?
- Is project work part of your day-to-day work?
- How independent can you (or do you have to) be in your work?
- What do you want to achieve?
If you are interested, you can learn more about the qualification of early career researchers at the German University Association of Advanced Graduate Training (GUAT).
Where required, the Graduate Centre supports early career researchers in planning their individual careers. The purpose of the advice provided is to promote early career researchers in a targeted manner.
In light of the many different career paths in and outside of academia, the Graduate Centre wants to help you determine where you are in terms of your doctoral career and to support you when developing your career options. The advice given is meant to strengthen your ability to independently reflect on, and ultimately boost, your own employability. Learn more about what the Graduate Centre has to offer.
There are a number of relevant publications for postdoctoral students to support them in their career planning:
- Kauhaus, Hanna; Hochheim, Evelyn (ed.) (2017): Qualifizierung in der Postdoc-Phase. Available online.
- Kauhaus, Hanna et al. (ed.) (2018): Perspektiven nach der Promotion. Berufswege außerhalb der Wissenschaft. 2 volumes. Available online.
- Müller, Mirjam (2014): Promotion - Postdoc - Professur. Karriereplanung in der Wissenschaft. Frankfurt am Main, New York: Campus.
- Vurgun, Sibel (ed.) (2016): Kompetenzen von Nachwuchswissenschaftlerinnen und Nachwuchswissenschaftlern. Entwicklung eines Kompetenzmodells. Available online.
Termine am Montag. 05.07.21 18:00 - 20:00
Termine am Mittwoch. 19.05.21 18:00 - 20:00, Ort: (ONLINE)
Termine am Donnerstag. 10.06.21 18:00 - 20:00, Ort: (ONLINE)
Termine am Donnerstag. 24.06.21 18:00 - 20:00, Ort: (ONLINE)