Active engagement with other academics is crucial for early career researchers – and often that involves travel to far-away places. Below you will find information on how to request funding for travel expenses and research-related travels. It is important to differentiate between the purpose and the duration of the trip or research stay:
The following criteria must be met for your application for reimbursement of travel expenses by the Graduate Centre to be successful:
- You are an early career researcher of the University of Passau
- The conference you intend to travel to is organised by a recognised academic institution
- You will be making an active contribution to the event (e.g. lecture, poster presentation etc.)
- You submit your application before you start travelling
The application must be submitted before you start your research-related trip.
Via post office:
You should provide the following documents (please note that all forms and documents linked to are in German, unless indicated otherwise):
- the completed and signed travel grant application form (German form: Antrag auf Reisekostenzuschuss)
- the completed and signed first supervisor's supporting form
- an academic curriculum vitae
- an abstract in which you explain the special, independent and new research achievement that makes it attractive to take part in this particular event
- evidence of your participation (i.e. an invitation e-mail)
online (just German language):
- log on with your member ID account on KIX website.
- go to Personal and "Reisekostenzuschuss Graduiertenzentrum"
fill in the application form (just in german language) and edit all necessary documents : an academic curriculum vitae, an abstract in which you explain the special, independent and new research achievement that makes it attractive to take part in this particular event, evidence of your participation (i.e. an invitation e-mail)
everywhere there is a choice between Ja/Nein, please, delete one of them
You do not have worry about the completed and signed first supervisor's supporting form. We take care of it and contact your supervisor ourselves!
Please note that you have to submit an application for research-related travel at Division VIII - Human Ressources if you are employed at the University of Passau.
The following German-language documents provide further information on guidelines for research-related travel, per-diem allowances and other rules on business-related travel:
Richtlinien der Universität über die Gewährung von Reisekostenzuschüssen (guidelines and information on how to apply for a travel grant)
Merkblatt zu Dienst- und Fortbildungsreisen (general information on the University's rules on business travel)
Auslandstage- und Auslandsübernachtungsgelder (country-by-country overview of per-diem allowances and maximum reimbursements for overnight expenses)
As a rule, remember to always retain all receipts, tickets etc., as there is no reimbursement without proof!
As a rule the Graduate Centre reimburses up to two-thirds of your travel expenses. Please note the following points:
- The travel allowance cannot be supplemented by resources from the chair/professorship. If research-related travels are supported by any kind of travel allowance, at least one-third of the expenses must be covered privately
- The remaining third of the expenses can only be financed by third-party funds which have been specifically earmarked for this purpose (e.g. funds from the DAAD programmes). Please note: privately-paid expenses may be tax-deductible
- Funds received from the University's Women's Representative cannot be combined with a travel grant from the Graduate Centre
Please contact the Graduate Centre if you have any questions on co-finance.
Please send your application for reimbursement of the travel expenses (see below) no later than six months after the event directly to Department VIII/4 of the Human Resources Division, Administration building 3rd floor, Innstr. 41, 94032 Passau. The application should include the following:
- the completed and signed application form for reimbursement of travel expenses
- receipts for all expenses you intend to bill (that includes boarding passes for flights and stamped tickets for train rides)
- the grant approval by the Graduate Centre
- an attendance certificate or equivalent evidence from the host institution that proves that you actively took part in the event (i.e. that you gave a lecture or presented a poster)
- if you have extended your research-related trip for private reasons: evidence that doing so did not incur any additional costs for the University
Are you planning to give a lecture at a conference? Would you like to prepare yourself properly for your presentation?
In the summer semester, we offer an annual workshop on "Academic Presenting at Seminars and Conferences: Delivering Effective and Powerful Talks in English".
The workshop takes place in summer 2021.