The following criteria must be met for your application for reimbursement of travel expenses by the Graduate Centre to be successful:
- You are an early career researcher of the University of Passau
- The conference you intend to travel to is organised by a recognised academic institution
- You will be making an active contribution to the event (e.g. lecture, poster presentation etc.)
- You submit your application before you start travelling
As a rule the Graduate Centre reimburses up to two-thirds of your travel expenses. Please note the following points:
- The travel allowance cannot be supplemented by resources from the chair/professorship. If research-related travels are supported by any kind of travel allowance, at least one-third of the expenses must be covered privately
- The remaining third of the expenses can only be financed by third-party funds which have been specifically earmarked for this purpose (e.g. funds from the DAAD programmes). Please note: privately-paid expenses may be tax-deductible
- Funds received from the University's Women's Representative cannot be combined with a travel grant from the Graduate Centre
Please contact the Graduate Centre if you have any questions on co-finance.
Application process prior to departure
The application must be submitted before you start your research-related trip. You should provide the following documents (please note that all forms and documents linked to are in German, unless indicated otherwise):
- the completed and signed travel grant application form (German form: Antrag auf Reisekostenzuschuss)
- the completed and signed first supervisor's supporting form
- an academic curriculum vitae
- an abstract in which you explain the special, independent and new research achievement that makes it attractive to take part in this particular event
- evidence of your participation (i.e. an invitation e-mail)
Please note that you have to submit an application for research-related travel at Division VIII - Human Ressources if you are employed at the University of Passau.
The following German-language documents provide further information on guidelines for research-related travel, per-diem allowances and other rules on business-related travel:
Richtlinien der Universität über die Gewährung von Reisekostenzuschüssen (guidelines and information on how to apply for a travel grant)
Merkblatt zu Dienst- und Fortbildungsreisen (general information on the University's rules on business travel)
Auslandstage- und Auslandsübernachtungsgelder (country-by-country overview of per-diem allowances and maximum reimbursements for overnight expenses)
As a rule, remember to always retain all receipts, tickets etc., as there is no reimbursement without proof!
Billing process after your return
Please send your application for reimbursement of the travel expenses (see below) no later than six months after the event directly to Department VIII/4 of the Human Resources Division, Administration building 3rd floor, Innstr. 41, 94032 Passau. The application should include the following:
- the completed and signed application form for reimbursement of travel expenses
- receipts for all expenses you intend to bill (that includes boarding passes for flights and stamped tickets for train rides)
- the grant approval by the Graduate Centre
- an attendance certificate or equivalent evidence from the host institution that proves that you actively took part in the event (i.e. that you gave a lecture or presented a poster)
- if you have extended your research-related trip for private reasons: evidence that doing so did not incur any additional costs for the University
Your application must be submitted before departure. That does not mean, however, that the application must be approved before the journey, but that it must have reached the Graduate Centre including all required documents by the date of departure. Billings must be submitted to the Human Resources Division within six months of the event.
All documents, including the travel grant application form, should be sent to the Graduate Centre, Nikolastr. 12, 94032 Passau. The fax number is +49 851 509 1592. The application must be printed on one side only and must not be stapled.
- There is no restriction on the number of applications that may be submitted; ECRs may submit as many applications as required for different events
- In principle you are permitted to combine research related travel with a private journey. However, you will then have to submit proof that the private portion of the trip did not increase the expenses borne by the University (e.g. by providing a comparison of air fares) along with the application or together with the billing documents. Please indicate clearly in the application documents which days you have spent on research and which on private matters.
Good academic conduct
Safeguarding Good Scientific Practice
(DFG recommendations), last amended in 2013